Description: This 16-character, 2-line parallel liquid crystal display achieves a large viewing area in a compact package. It uses the common HD44780 interface (330k pdf), so sample interface code is widely available for a variety of microcontrollers.
The DDRAM address 0x00 corresponds to the first character of the top line, address 0x0F corresponds to the last character of the top line, address 0x40 corresponds to the first character of the second line, and address 0x4F corresponds to the last character of the second line.
You can find sample HD44780 LCD interface code written for a variety of AVR microcontrollers as part of the Pololu AVR library. If your prefer to use this LCD with the Arduino check out the LCD libraries and examples contributed to the Arduino Playground.
- Pin 1 - (Vss) - ground (0 V)
- Pin 2 - (Vdd) - 5 V logic supply voltage
- Pin 3 - (Vo) - contrast adjustment
- Pin 4 - (RS) - H/L register select signal
- Pin 5 - (R/W) - H/L read/write signal
- Pin 6 - (E) - H/L enable signal
- Pin 7 to 14 - (DB0 to DB7) - H/L data bus for 4-bit or 8-bit mode
- Size: 85.0 x 29.5 x 9.5 mm
- Viewing area: 64.5 x 16.4 mm
- Dot size: 0.56 x 0.61 mm
- Character size: 3.00 x 5.23 mm
- Weight: 27 g
- Minimum logic voltage: 4.5 V
- Maximum logic voltage: 5.5 V
- Supply current: 2 mA
Note: No cables or connectors are included with this product.
A 40x2-pin 0.100" male header strip and 20", 16-conductor ribbon cable fits wit this LCD. You can break a 7x2 segment from the header strip and solder it to the 14 through-holes on the left side of the LCD PCB; the ribbon cable will then plug into the header pins (leaving two holes empty).
The header pins won't enforce proper orientation of the cable, so you will need to take care to plug it in to the correct pins.